- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the short ribs generously with salt and pepper.
- Brown the short ribs thoroughly on all sides without crowding the pot (do this in batches). Move the browned ribs to a plate as they are done.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. Add the wine to the pot, stirring to loosen the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet for about 30 seconds.
- Add the shallots, dried figs and Spiced Fig Not Ketchup and stir to combine. Put the short ribs back in the pot and cover it. The liquid should cover most of the meat; if it doesn’t, add some beef broth or water.
- Cook about 3 hours, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, polenta, noodles, rice or mashed cauliflower, spooning the sauce over the meat.
Note: If you prefer to make these in a slow cooker, proceed as written through step 3, then add all ingredients (including wine from deglazing pot) to a slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours.